Friday, November 12, 2010

Get Out! (and Knit)

I had another assignment a bit back that I think is pretty spiffy.  I had to incorporate a few different elements for the teacher, and it all came together well.  I had to create something in response to this group called Futurefarmers.  They go out and do stuff in communities.  They are a collective based in San Francisco, CA that works with tons of stuff.  It had to have at least one of these elements: performance, collaborative, or temporary installation.  I chose performance.  The teach added a couple more parameters to this.  Because of the earthquake and fire in 1906 in San Francisco, I had to spend at least $19.06 (bonus if you can spend exactly that, which I did!  Thank you Bonnie) and I had to use wood or the woodshop.  It also could NOT be in the art building.
I went out and made my own double pointed knitting needles, which went better than I could have hoped for.  I might make my own again sometime when I don't need a specific size. 

I then bought some spiffy yarn and went out to Quarry Park and knitted bracelets while I hiked and gave them away as I made them.

It was a bit disorienting, but worth it.  I couldn't work too fast because of the hiking and cold, but it was so fun.

Some were scared when I approached them and tried to give them a free bracelet, some were excited.  It was really nifty to just pop in on people in a place where you don't run into many, and give them something handmade for free.  People just don't expect it at all.   I plan on doing it more, after the busy semester is finished.



Go there sometime.  You definitely will enjoy the scenery, and you might just get something extra ;)

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures, and your creativity is inspiring! I love that you went out and just struck up random connection with people. You rock!

    ReplyDelete