Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Darn you lack of translating well into written wordiness *shakes fist at sky*

Sometimes I hate the written word.  The spoken word in person involves body movements, inflections, and all sorts of other things that I somehow manage to get wrong half the time.  If you take out the people-ness of talking, ie: talking on the phone, there are tons of corrections one must make because there are mistakes in how people take your words because they can't see you.  Now look at something like this blog, or... Facebook.  (I'll talk more about you in a moment).  I may not say these words out loud, but I have certain inflections and pauses in my head.  I have an idea of exactly how I am saying these words.  You, the reader, have no idea what words I say louder, or softer, where I put the emphasis in syllables, and in some cases, don't even know what my voice sounds like.  So much is missed in what is probably the most important way, and easiest way to spread, of conveying words.  I wish I had payed more attention in english class, because I must be missing something important.
Facebook... ah, Facebook, how I sometimes loathe you.  I try to write snarky and funny comments on my family's pictures, they misinterpret what I say and get mad and delete it and won't talk about it.  I try to ask an honest question, and my family takes it as a meanly said slam against them, and freaks out at me.  I just can't win.  ...with my family.... maybe I should change part of my rant to something against my family and their lack of understanding me... Nah, too much work for one rant.
Feel free to tell me of any mistakes I made in my rant, because my meds haven't kicked in yet and reading all these words back to myself makes my lack of medicine migraine worse.
How do you feel about the written word in places like Facebook?

No comments:

Post a Comment